Work with us
Why work for us?
We understand that in order for us to provide our growers with the best possible service, we need to first look after our own people. That’s why we aim to provide our staff with the best possible experience – whether they join us permanently, or just for the main packing season. If you’re interested in joining the Punchbowl team on a permanent or seasonal basis, check out our current vacancies and hit the “Apply Now” button above
NB: We are backpacker friendly. Working for us is a great way to get a taste of New Zealand’s horticulture sector.
- Seasonal and permanent job opportunities
- Limited accommodation
- Free on-site parking
- Medical health insurance and a wellness scheme
- Little/no traffic woes (rural location)
- A wonderful community to be part of (Franklin)
- A collaborative team environment
About The Job
You’ll be joining one of our three shifts:
- Morning Shift:
6.00am – 2.00pm
- Afternoon Shift:
2.00pm – 10.00pm
- Night Shift:
10.00pm – 6.00am
You will be:
- A good communicator, and able to speak and understand English
- Trainable and able to learn and follow instructions
- Able to work well under pressure and to targets in a busy environment
- Reliable and punctual, with your own transport
- Flexible with the hours you can work
- Physically fit and able to stand for long periods
- Legally able to work in NZ or hold an appropriate work visa
Situated in rural Patumahoe, South Auckland, Punchbowl is a leading Packhouse and Coolstore facility. We provide packing and cool storage for both Green and Gold kiwifruit, packing approximately 3.5 million trays of kiwifruit and 25 tonnes of blueberries annually. At Punchbowl, we are committed to providing a safe, healthy and happy work environment. Our pack season is hard but rewarding work, with the guarantee of making great friends along the way.
Are you ready to start work in March? Do you thrive in a busy team environment? Join our Kiwifruit Packhouse team in a key role for our 2021 season (March to June).
The work is seasonal and will be from approximately March through to June. We work a rolling roster with 5 days on and 1 day off, with two 12-hour shifts.
We are looking for people to fill a number of key roles, including the below roles:
- checking we have the correct clearance to pack our fruit;
- entering data including grower details, fruit variety etc into the system;
- Making sure produce pallet cards etc are visual before transferring to Coolstore;
- Ensuring full traceability of fruit is maintained using batch control systems. You will have an eye for detail and good computer skills.
Fruit Label Operator
(Afternoon & Night Shift)
- Operating the Fruit Label Machinery to ensure correct variety and label type applied
- Ensuring correct stock
Recording accurate and traceable data
- Changing thread label reels. You will be able to trouble shoot, work under pressure and have and good time management skills.
Bin Tip Operator
(Afternoon & Night Shift)
- Operating bin tip machinery to ensure the correct bin is tipped over;
- Working the machine while meeting the demands of the production line.
- You will be accurate, methodical, practice, able to work at pace and have troubleshooting skills
- Operating the Traymaking and Niverplast Machines to produce boxes and trays feeding direct to the production line.
- Full training will be given in this role.
- You will be strong, fit and able to work at pace.
Weights & Counts
- Checking fruit counts and weights to ensure product specifications are met;
- Recording and reporting information.
- You will have an eye for detail and be able to work accurately.
(Afternoon & Night Shift)
- Keeping the staff areas of our Packhouse clean and tidy;
- Making sure there is tea, coffee and fresh water available for tea breaks;
- Heating staff meals for lunch breaks;
- Undertaking temperature testing of all staff.
- You will be friendly and able to relate to all people as well as motivated to achieve a clean and tidy workplace.
Tray Prep Team leader
- Ensuring correct distribution of labour throughout the tray prep line;
- Maintaining H&S and food safety standards;
- Making sure product traceability is maintained;
- Ensuring stock is available for shifts.
- You will have experience in leading a small team, be able to trouble shoot and have a positive and energetic manner.
- Checking and monitoring fruit to ensure standards are being met;
- Recording and communicating data;
- You will have a strong attention to detail and be computer literate.
General Packhouse Workers
- Packer – final placement of fruit, wrapping and lidding of tray/box
- Grader – carefully check fruit to ensure it meets the required standards
- Stacker – ensure each box is labelled and placed on pallet. Requires a good level of fitness
Punchbowl is a backpacker-friendly site and welcomes travellers from all over the world to come and experience life working in New Zealand’s Kiwifruit industry. We can provide a diverse range of packhouse and orchard-based positions for our backpackers to provide full exposure to them during their stay with us. We offer limited worker accommodation, which includes private or shared rooms, communal kitchen facilities, a common room with TV, Wifi access, laundry and bathroom facilities.